Re: [News] Reviewer Calls Ubuntu Linux "an Ideal Windows Replacement"

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:29 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:27:29 +0000
> <1447313.AHJqkKfaQU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 December 2006 00:18 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
>>> <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:46:12 +0000

>>> I'm not sure Ubuntu is disruptive *enough*.  Admittedly,
>>> if Ubuntu can land a few good deals with OEMs/resellers,
>>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> See Mark's Remark: "able to overcome a corrupt, monopolistic system with
>> the backing of billions of dollars". See notes below as well.
>>

>>> it might start the ball rolling.  From what little I've
>>> fiddled with it (and it's *very* little), Ubuntu's a very
>>> nice distro -- if one doesn't mind a tasteful brown desktop.
>>> But that's changeable, with a little work.
>>

>> Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
>> | federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
>> | computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
>> | manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
>> | to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
>> | other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
>> | chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
>> |
>> | "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
>> | remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
>> | and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
>> | competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
>> |
>> | Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
>> | about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
>> | serves as company chairman.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
>> | computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
>> | attempting to design rival software.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1
>>

>> Is there wasn't a "chokehold", maybe then you wouldn't need to cope with
>> brown.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Hm.  I'll have to keep half an eye on that one. :-)  Of
> course the last DoJ action resulted in a settlement...and
> I'm frankly far from sure it did justice any good.
>
> But we'll see.

It'll take a long time to fix a broken (software) indutry and legal system
(or government), but here's something for the brown. :-) :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_darth_vader/311737681/

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
Mem:    514480k total,   475204k used,    39276k free,    12312k buffers