Re: BSoD's Come to Linux Through Win4Lin

begin  oe_protect.scr
Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> AOL has the power to crash Win2k virtual machines
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now, I hear the chorus typing their hate e-mails... "Why would
>> | anyone run the AOL client inside linux"? Simple: for me it's just
>> | another tool to avoid network congestion. When you connect to AOL
>> | over broadband you setup a VPN to the "AOL cloud" and your AOLc
>> | lient allows navigating from an AOL IP address, thus often helping
>> | bypass local backbone bottlenecks and other nuisances.
>> `----
>
> This does make sense.  AOL is trying to make assumptions about the
> modem device, and seems to be trying to install it's own modem drivers.
>  I'm surprised that Win4Lin didn't just declare an external modem via
> serial UART or a "smart modem".
>
> Fortunately, Linux users don't need to install AOL client.  They can
> use GAIM to chat via AIM, they can use Thunderbird or one of the other
> pop e-mail clients to get e-mail, and they can use the web browser to
> access the web sites.

This single-client thing is silly.  Last xmas, my sister and her younger
daughter (15 going on 25) visited from Canada;  her daughter was desperate
for MSN messenger access, so I installed Gaim on a couple of PCs here,
and provided her with a login.  She was completely happy with it -
no problems at all.

I think GSM phones are becoming ever more popular in Canada now, so SMS
is growing like it did in EU a few years ago.

Ryan's Law:
	Make three correct guesses consecutively
	and you will establish yourself as an expert.