Re: Flocking from Windows to Macs Continues...

  • Subject: Re: Flocking from Windows to Macs Continues...
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Dec 2006 12:13:07 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> More diversity = less monopoly abuse -> less lockins -> door opens to
> GNU/Linux...
>
> Apple could sell 9 million Macs in 2007
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | That would be a jump from around 2.8 percent of the market now,
> | and could work out to a staggering 9 million Macs sold in 2007.
> `----
>
> http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/12/14/6286

So some people who are currently paying $$$ for Windows are now willing
to pay $$$ to get a Mac.

So why is it that people would rather pay $$$ for a Mac than get Linux
for free?

The 'lock-in' arguement doesn't work here because they're learning an
entirely new OS. But instead of keeping their existing PC (free) and
getting Linux (also free) they are willing to buy new hardware ($$$)
and Mac software ($$$). I wonder why?