Re: [News] All Server Shall Become Virtualised

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 15 December 2006 14:23 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 15 December 2006 09:30 \__
>>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> One-character typo, one long speech. *smile*
>>>
>>> I actually knew that licensing (as in the verb) comes with as 's', but I
>>> just tend to write things quickly, so it was overlooked. This was a good
>>> lesson nonetheless.
>>>

>> I thought you did, but this error is so commonly made that I thought it
>> worth pushing out some assistance.  I'm not interested in the flame wars
>> with people who'll argue the toss, only those who want to know how to do
>> it right!
>
> [voice tone="gentle" /]
>
> Frankly, I think you have gone a little too far this time. It is an informal
> forum, not a peer-reviewed paper. Others have pointed out that you are
> sensitive to mistakes in people's English (I think it was Oliver who said
> that). Having just run my spellchecker I realised that it would have weeded
> out that typo...

Sorry, don't agree;  it's always helpful to point out to people,
particularly non-native speakers, common errors and the proper way.
There are a large number of non-native speakers here, and they will
likely follow the flow.  This error is commonplace, so it's worth
showing the proper way.

As I said the first-time around, I assumed that you'd made a typo,
however, there are a lot of people out there who are likely to be
confused - this was the audience for this item.

Mr Wong recommends breaking the law to make money, so I don't really
take what he says all that seriously.

> I can understand your frustration when you see typos recur so often that they
> become acceptable... and almost a norm... example: duel-core... seen the
> following in Yahoo and grabbed a screenshot...

The problem occurs when you have non-native speakers who thing it's
correct...

> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/12/duel-core/
>
> This may initially be written as a joke, but other people adopt this as a
> standard spelling. In due course, vocabularies mutute, evolve, and change.
> As you say, some dictionaries have gone quite far... accepting "google" as a
> verb...? (trademark issues aside)

Language develops all the time, of course, and this must be taken
account of.

> Also see /this/, from OSDL...
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/04/0457205&from=rss
>
> This article annoyed quite a few people. Pet peeves are dangerous...

This would be the open-source is not a verb one?

Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat.
		-- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987