Re: undisclosed balance-sheet liability ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Thursday 14 December 2006 18:59 \__

> on Thurs 14 Dec 2006 17:40 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
>> in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
>
> Shouldn't this kind of thing be factored into the "undisclosed
> balance-sheet liability" that Steveo keeps threatening people with.

Do Windows users have an "undisclosed balance-sheet liability" too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Who can tell what infringes what any more? Also, I wonder if we should
| even care. Patents were originally created to protect the little guy
| who invents a gizmo, tries to sell it, but sees another company come
| along, copy the gizmo, and make all the money selling their version.
| But today's application of patents to software is completely warped
| and twisted from that noble idea of fairness and reward for hard
| work... Countries that see what we're doing and avoid it will be
| at a competitive advantage. While we sit around gazing at our
| navels, they will be free to let developers develop, collaborate,
| and innovate in peace...
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=216

=== Begin quote ==

    "The cost of these steps could reduce our operating margins. Despite
    these efforts, actual or perceived security vulnerabilities in our
    products could lead some customers to seek to return products, to reduce
    or delay future purchases, or to use competing products. Customers may
    also increase their expenditures on protecting their existing computer
    systems from attack, which could delay adoption of new technologies. Any
    of these actions by customers could adversely affect our revenue. In
    addition, actual or perceived vulnerabilities may lead to claims against
    us. While our license agreements typically contain provisions that
    eliminate or limit our exposure to such liability, there is no assurance
    these provisions will be held effective under applicable laws and
    judicial decisions."

Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally responsible
for selling software that is insecure.

== End quote ==

                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
  7:05pm  up 57 days  5:19,  7 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.65, 0.76