Re: [News] RISC OS Ponders Proper Open Source

  • Subject: Re: [News] RISC OS Ponders Proper Open Source
  • From: Peter KÃhlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:28:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Could open source RISC OS bring back users?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "If this were to happen, it would open up the possibility of
>>| either community-based or commercial groups moving the OS to other
>>| hardware platforms. ARM powered motherboards, PDAs, set top boxes
>>| and even phones are ubiquitous and many of these could, in theory,
>>| serve as a platform for running RISC OS..."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1750.html
>
> It's all a bit late, now, isn't it?  If they'd done this a decade ago,
> they might even be challenging for the desktop now, and even in the
> embedded space.
>
> Having said that, there will be a technology /after/ Linux.

Quite certainly, although I suspect it will be a Linux transformed, not a
replaced one

> I'd thought
> it would most probably be the GNU kernel, hurd, but as it just doesn't
> seem to be making that much progress, perhaps RiscOS might be it
> instead?

Hurd is as dead as it possibly could be. It is not even as stable as
windows, and this after years of development, albeit very reluctant
It has not attracted that many programmers

> How much longer will x86 be around for?

That is certainly quite irrelevant for linux. Just use the successor to that
processor line.
I suspect it will be around in one form or the other as long as there is a
windows market, as MS has shown to be too incompetent at porting windows
--
There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
everybody  into two kinds of people, and everybody else