Re: Official PlayStation 3 Linux Now a Free Download

  • Subject: Re: Official PlayStation 3 Linux Now a Free Download
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Dec 2006 14:47:48 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Yellow Dog Linux free version officially released!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | All those who've just got a PS3 for Christmas and are thinking of
> | installing Fedora Core, stop! Terrasoft has released the free version
> | of Yellow Dog Linux. While you might be wondering that Fedora Core is
> | much more popular, I'd advise you to go with Yellow Dog Linux because
> | it is based on Fedora Core itself. Secondly, and much more importantly,
> | it is very much optimised for the PS3, since it's specially made
> | for it.
> `----
>
> http://ps3.qj.net/Yellow-Dog-Linux-free-version-officially-released-/pg/49/aid/77583
>
> I have been reading about PS3 Linux. Many (most?) people installed Linux on
> their PS3 over Christmas (it's free, so why not?).

This should read:
"A few (very few?) people installed Linux on their PS3 over Christmas
(it's free, so why not?)."

The fact remains that the PS3 is a gaming console that gamers buy to
play games on. If the PS2 is any indicator, very few will be converted
to Linux boxes.

> The PS3 could reach over 100 million houses within a few years, unless the
> Wii (which also can run Linux) steals the show.

So what? The original XBox and PS2 can also run Linux. Yet the number
of people running Linux on a GAMING CONSOLE is negligible.