Re: Microsoft: The Hands-Down Winner For Most Disappointing Product Of 2006

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 29 December 2006 17:46 \__

>> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Thursday 28 December 2006 19:05 \__
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>     Can you provide a link supporting your claim? 'Cause I can provide a
>>> link supporting mine...
>>>
>>> http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/25957
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Microsoft spokesman Tom Pilla on Tuesday confirmed with iPod Observer
>>> that
>>> his company initiated the creation of the iPod packaging parody video
>>> that
>>> was first reported last month. "It was an internal-only video clip
>>> commissioned by our packaging [team] to humorously highlight the
>>> challenges
>>> we have faced RE: packaging and to educate marketers here about the
>>> pitfalls of packaging/branding," he said via e-mail.
>>>
>>> The video, which surfaced on You Tube but has since been removed and can
>>> now be found on Google Video, pokes fun at Microsoft's tendency toward
>>> cluttered packaging by imagining how the company would have designed the
>>> box for the original iPod. Where Apple's design is sparse, Microsoft's
>>> final creation is full of so many stickers and other information that the
>>> photo of the MP3 player can be barely seen.
>>>
>>> Mr. Pilla noted: "While MS did not release the video, it's natural to
>>> share
>>> funny things with friends. So while we didn't publicly share the video,
>>> it
>>> was shared with appropriate teams internally. We're happy to see others
>>> enjoy the laugh as well."
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>>     If you really thought this was a "stealth marketting" move, what
>>>     exactly
>>> do you think the video was supposed to do that would profit Microsoft?
>>> The
>>> video is very clearly self-satirical. Look at the part where they add a
>>> fold-out tab because the box itself is not long enough to include the
>>> full
>>> feature list. Isn't it obvious that this is a form of self-mockery?
>>
>> I think your link only /defends/ my point. Other companies did the same
>> thing
>> and got in trouble.
>
>     Some of your the claims you made I agreed with (e.g. that a Microsoft
> employee made the video). The claims you made which I am disputing are:
>
>     * Microsoft's marketing department secretly injected it to the Web
>     * The admission was quiet.
>
>     The link I provided showed it was not secret, quiet, or even
> intentional, and once it was "injected", Microsoft did not try to hide the
> fact that it was them who made it.
>
>     Once again, I ask you: why would this be a marketting move? How does
> Microsoft stand to benefit from this video being seen by the general
> public? Occam's razor seems to suggest this is exactly what Microsoft
> claims it is: An internal joke that got leaked onto the net, and one which
> they are not ashamed of.

As regards your last point, humility buys sympathy. I could address the other
parts too, but we seem to be sinking into a cyclic argument here (it's also
speculative). That type/class of arguments is the reason I killfiled
Funkenbusch last year. Your argumentative nature, on the other hand, is by
far superior to that which Windows trolls drip all over the place...

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Welcome to standards-compliant Web browsing. http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
roy      pts/4                         Fri Dec 29 14:36 - 14:47  (00:10)