Re: [News] How Microsoft Blackmails Existing Customers Into Software Upgrades

Robert Newson wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> What if you want to keep your old operating systems, such as Windows
>>> 2000, running as long as possible?
>>>
>>> Microsoft isn't making it easy for you. Office 2007 and the software
>>> for the company's much-hyped Zune music player won't install on
>>> Windows 2000.

Maybe they will - maybe they won't.  Edit an .msi file in Orca, change the
LaunchCondition entry, and many apps that say XP only will install on
Windows Server 2003.  I've done it a bunch of times.

>>> As other new products emerge from Microsoft in 2007
>>> and beyond, more and more of them are likely to leave Windows 2000
>>> out of the party.

That's about 7 years of support.  Sounds good to me, especially compared to
Novell, which dropped support for Suse 8.0 just two years after introducing
it.

> In which case you'll be looking towards OSS replacements that will
> work[1]

Who will be looking?

What replacement will work as well as Office 2007?