Re: Linux predictions for 2007

__/ [ Brandon J. Van Every ] on Tuesday 26 December 2006 08:14 \__

> 7 wrote:

>> > OpenGL-accelerated desktops come to mind (DirectX flip mode is moot).
>> > This can also assist, augment and complement design, e.g. Autodesk
>> > AutoCAD, Maya 3D... among other things of course...
>>

>> OpenGL patents are owned by micoshaft.
>
> Such as?

I wondered the same thing...

>> I'm thinking more of the arrival of open source libraries
>> pooling enough features together to make rapid gaming
>> advances that could only be put together in a Linux environment.
>> The typical windopz developer model of buying up companies
>> to get at the fragments of code is rapidly coming to an end
>> because its too slow and not as dynamic as the Linux
>> developer environment.
>
> Well I'm interested in what a "rapid gaming advance" would be, but I
> must say that over the past 3 years of looking in open source land, I
> didn't find one.  Well, perhaps the PS3 will help.  That's pretty much
> why I'm here.

Yes, for the time being, the PS3 would probably be a good bet if you're e
heavy gamer (and one who looks for the latest and greatest). The PS3 not
only beats PC games in terms of looks/performance, but it also beats its
counterparts in the consoles turf because the Cell is a workhorse. It's a PC
in every sense and it comes with nice extras like a Bluray drive and a
display as big as your TV.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
Mem:    514480k total,   478988k used,    35492k free,     6884k buffers