Re: overrun by spyware and adware

__/ [wontak] on Saturday 11 February 2006 11:07 \__

> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/1797
>

> I feel very sad  :)

 "On a  recent Sunday  morning when Lew Tucker's Dell desktop computer
 was overrun by spyware and adware -  stealth software that  delivers
 intrusive advertising messages and even gathers data from the user's
 machine - he did  not simply  get rid of the offending programs.  He
 threw out the whole computer."

A popular article once claimed this to be a more economically-rational
solution to embrace. Legal disposal of a machine, however, is rather
expensive. I hope Lew handed his the machine to somebody else, even to lodge
in a server room where its electricity consumption makes the capacity
worthwhile. What I fail to grasp is people's assumption that a new machine
(even one that runs newer virusions of Windows), will provide protection
against that same evil which started the mess.

If Lew holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science as the article suggests, he must
have been raised in the wrong college. Here in our Division, all drop-outs
whom I know are Windows-only users. Mind you, we are relatively
Linux-oriented.