Re: OSS Advocacy Help

__/ [Linønut] on Saturday 18 February 2006 16:21 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:50:31 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>By  the  way, several faculties in my university use Open Source  software
>>>including  content  management systems. It is nothing out of the  ordinary
>>>and  there  are  examples that extend beyond this. MSN, Yahoo,  Apple  and
>>>About, for instance, are using WordPress for parts of their sites.
>>
>> I think the key there is "parts" of their sites.  Not very big parts
>> either.  Most of these larger organizations roll their own.  Wordpress
>> isn't a CMS though, it's a blogging engine with some rudamentary CMS
>>features.  For example, there is no LDAP integration, so you can't point it
>> at an LDAP database for authentication, something most enterprises would
>> need.  It also has no workflow subsystem, so you can't create approval
>> flows to ensure that content has been vetted or approved for publication.
>>
>> Compare Wordpress with, say, Interwoven or RedDot at www.cmsmatrix.org and
>> look at all the "No" entries compared to IW or RD's Yes's.  Things like
>> SSL support, versioning, session management, Caching, Database
>> replication, load balancing, asset management, Content Staging, Content
>> re-use, multi-site deployment, etc... these are all very important
>> features to
>> large organizations.  Most open source CMS's are designed around blogging
>> and/or community based content.  That's fine for what they do, but not
>> fine for enterprise needs.
>
> Why do I get the feeling that Erik has gone through some kind of FUD
> training program?

It's worth expanding the quoted text just to point out that, much as I had
expected, there were so many lies and inaccuracies in the followup, so I
could not be bothered with a rebuttal. If I did, yet another offence at my
words was guaranteed to come loose and we all know who gets the last word,
probably due to expandability of free time.

A mind-blowing question raises when you come to discover funkenbusch.com,
which runs Apache. Elitism or just a mundane case of empty pockets?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  4:45pm  up 1 day  5:04,  9 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.73, 0.77