Re: [Article] Baidu jumps after strong earnings

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:49:47 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Paul B ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 15:02 \__
>
>> From : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4738846.stm

<snip>

>I wonder to what extent their rise is affected by controversies in China
>which involve Google censorship, Yahoo's leak of key information (leading to
>an arrest of a juvenile) and Microsoft shutting down Chinese blogs.

I believe a number of people in China have boycotted Google over this.

>> 'Growing competition'
>>
>> In after-the-bell trading on Wall Street on Monday evening, Baidu saw
>> its shares rise by $6.39 to trade at $58.08.
>>
>> Baidu is well placed to benefit from the increasing number of Chinese
>> people logging on to the internet, despite growing competition from
>> Google and Yahoo in its home market.
>>
>> Since Baidu's flotation in August, the US pair have attempted to grab
>> a bigger chunk of China's growing internet market, which has more than
>> 100 million people online.
>

>Wow. Big market. It's only a few hundreds of millions in the west; less than
>a handful. China is developing quickly and will soon have gigabit Ethernet
>too.

I get a number of people a day that come from Baidu, and I expect more
as they grow. They could be google's biggest rival.

plh
Paul