Re: Palm Lifedrive (buy something else!!)

Okay Roy... OOOPS See below! :-)

> __/ [ KevinX ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 23:56 \__
>
> > "Laurent Bugnion" <lbugnion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> Hi,

> >> No, you misunderstand what I said, and probably because I didn't say it
> >> well. Let me rephrase: I agree that the product, out of the box
> >> (especially if you have an old serie without the update) doesn't work
> >> well. Should it work better? As a software engineer, I see two types of
> >> clients: The ones who want the product NOW, even if it's not finished
> >> yet (i.e. the ones who bought the LifeDrive early), and the ones who
> >> want a product working reasonably well, and agree to wait for an update
> >> patch (or a service pack, or a version *.1, etc...).
>

> I know this text is not directed at myself, but to me, the issue is not
> essential upgrades, but the inability to study and comprehend the client's
> need. Slow interaction and startups are a killer. I find it hard enough
> (pardon my language) going for a wee without the ability to write what's
on
> my mind in the interim. That's why a PDA is usually in my pocket, even at
> the gym. The LD completely ignores it. It's big, it's sluggish.
>

> >> Me as an engineer, I would prefer my clients to wait that I sort out
the
> >> bugs, that I deliver a version running fairly well (as we all know,
> >> software systems are so complex that it is impossible to solve all the
> >> bugs, but as usual in engineering, you have to accept compromises).
> >> However, it's not the engineer who decides when the product is released
,
> >> it's marekting and management, and they get tremendous pressure from
the
> >> clients A (the ones who want the product NOW).
> >>
> >> Now my reaction was motivated by your bad preparation as a client, and
> >> also by your bad reaction after the purchase. The LifeDrive has been
out
> >> long enough that all flaws you mention are known by users A. They have
> >> been reported over and over, and they are all over the internet. You,
> >> however, decided to buy one anyway. I guess you didn't inform yourself
> >> prior hand, am I right? Or else you wouldn't have reacted so
> >> aggressively. Now, when you buy a device costing more than XXX U$ (XXX
> >> being a limit depending on your income, your personal preference,
> >> etc...), it is really not reasonable to buy it without doing a little
> >> prior reading (aka homework). It is even less reasonable to believe
what
> >> the vendor will tell you. These are basic facts governing the gadget
> >> lover's life ;-)
>

> Good point. To refute just a slight bit if I may: the Palm Web site will
not
> say a word about speed. This still requires a live demonstration or
> rant-of-mouth (sic).
>

> >> And then, after you noticed that your device has, indeed, the flaws
that
> [...]

Thanks for your continued support, Roy, and your empathy.
I liked your comment about using a notepad, whilst waiting the LD to awake
from it's "doze"  :-)

Again, 100% with you on the "keeping it handy, and when going for a pee...."
:-).
I understand where you're coming from, and (yet again) you are 100% correct.
It's good to have others who agree.
I take your note on "bottom posting" (in fact I ALMOST made a postscript to
such effects last evening, but deleted it).

Be lucky, and thanks for your support, and kind comments.

Cheers

Kevin