Re: Palm Lifedrive (buy something else!!)

__/ [ KevinX ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 23:56 \__

> "Laurent Bugnion" <lbugnion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> KevinX wrote:
>> > Laurent.
>> >
>> > Forgive me. You really *DO* miss the point..
>> >
>> > To quote you, once again:-
>> > "It's a shame, though, that when people have a device that doesn't work,
>> > they don't want spend time making it work better"
>>
>> No, you misunderstand what I said, and probably because I didn't say it
>> well. Let me rephrase: I agree that the product, out of the box
>> (especially if you have an old serie without the update) doesn't work
>> well. Should it work better? As a software engineer, I see two types of
>> clients: The ones who want the product NOW, even if it's not finished
>> yet (i.e. the ones who bought the LifeDrive early), and the ones who
>> want a product working reasonably well, and agree to wait for an update
>> patch (or a service pack, or a version *.1, etc...).

I know this text is not directed at myself, but to me, the issue is not
essential upgrades, but the inability to study and comprehend the client's
need. Slow interaction and startups are a killer. I find it hard enough
(pardon my language) going for a wee without the ability to write what's on
my mind in the interim. That's why a PDA is usually in my pocket, even at
the gym. The LD completely ignores it. It's big, it's sluggish.

>> Me as an engineer, I would prefer my clients to wait that I sort out the
>> bugs, that I deliver a version running fairly well (as we all know,
>> software systems are so complex that it is impossible to solve all the
>> bugs, but as usual in engineering, you have to accept compromises).
>> However, it's not the engineer who decides when the product is released,
>> it's marekting and management, and they get tremendous pressure from the
>> clients A (the ones who want the product NOW).
>>
>> Now my reaction was motivated by your bad preparation as a client, and
>> also by your bad reaction after the purchase. The LifeDrive has been out
>> long enough that all flaws you mention are known by users A. They have
>> been reported over and over, and they are all over the internet. You,
>> however, decided to buy one anyway. I guess you didn't inform yourself
>> prior hand, am I right? Or else you wouldn't have reacted so
>> aggressively. Now, when you buy a device costing more than XXX U$ (XXX
>> being a limit depending on your income, your personal preference,
>> etc...), it is really not reasonable to buy it without doing a little
>> prior reading (aka homework). It is even less reasonable to believe what
>> the vendor will tell you. These are basic facts governing the gadget
>> lover's life ;-)

Good point. To refute just a slight bit if I may: the Palm Web site will not
say a word about speed. This still requires a live demonstration or
rant-of-mouth (sic).

>> And then, after you noticed that your device has, indeed, the flaws that
>> you have been warned against (if you did your homework, that is), the
>> next reasonable step is to do more homeworks, and to read all over the
>> internet how to solve these flaws. You instead chose to post to a
>> newsgroup, probably to release your frustration (which had no reason to
>> be there in the first place, since you knew about the flaws before
>> buying (if you did your homework, that is).

By posting to this group, Kevin warmed others. perhaps a subject line like
"LifeDrive is painfully slow" would have been less generalised and not lead
to presumptions.

>> So my point is (and I didn't miss it, IMHO) that you didn't do your
>> homework. And then that you didn't do your homework again. So you're to
>> blame. Twice. Now go to the blackboard and write 1000 times "I will not
>> rant in newsgroups and most importantly, I will not tell Laurent that he
>> missed the point!" ;-)

*Giggle*

>> Admittedly, the LifeDrive could work better. It's true. It needs tuning,
>> it needs technical knowledge, it needs spending some time on internet to
>> check how to make it work better. But my point was that you had all
>> possibilities to know about it before you bought. Thus I don't think
>> that the rant is legitimous.
>>
>> Let me finish by saying that I am sorry that you got this frustration,
>> and I dearly recommend you to buy another model, with less capabilities
>> but more solid. I was very happy with Sony Cliés, and there are still a
>> few TH55 out there. They also had many problems in the start, but they
>> are old now and the problems have been sorted out. Buying the latest
>> models is never a good idea unless like me, you just love to tweak and
>> tune your gadgets.

This relates to another route down this thread. I love playing with gadgets,
but I used to do it far more when I was younger. I am now a dog that is
stubborn enough to refuse to learn new tricks.

>> > Out of the box it SHOULD work better (than an "inferior" earlier model).
>> >
>> > A year down the line, then yes, maybe it could do with a little
> tweaking,
>> > and searching to "update" it. But NOT "out of the box", yet you seem to
>> > think this correct??
>> >
>> > Thanks for your interesting comments though.

>> And thanks for the moderate tone of your post, though my previous post
>> was a bit too sarcastic for my taste.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Laurent
>
> Okay, Laurent.
>
> Having just returned from the blackboard (with aching fingers!).
>
> Quite true, I did NOT do my homework, nor did I research the unit.
>
> Previous units Handspring Visor, and then (about three years ago) the
> Tungsten T.
>
> Quite happy with the Tungsten T, and when I purchased I favoured it a "work
> tool", and proved so (in my opinion).
> Few little glitches here and there, but nothing drastic.

When I come to think of it, I could have happily stayed with the M130. I have
actually said that ever since I got the Tungsten. The M130 obviated the need
for a laptop. Just pull handheld out of pocket, folding keyboard out of
other pocket, unfold and you're ready to go. Who said novelty is always an
indication of pragmatic progress?

> I bought the LD, as a result of the theft of my TT, and thought the LD was
> (virtually) the latest, and best "up to date" from the Palm stable. No, I
> didn't do any previous research, but "thought" it would be fine, and an
> improvement over the TT.

The thief must have done good research. (S)he stole the Tungsten. *smile*

> How wrong I was  :-(
>
> The rest is history....
>
> I (foolishly) expect to turn the unit on, get past the security (no
> problem) and then start inputting data. This is where things become slow,
> and a soft reset (had to do again today) can take up to 2 mins, before the
> unit is ready to run again.
>
> Okay, 120 secs doesn't seem a lot, but I find it terribly frustrating.

[sarcasm /]

120 seconds?!?! How about you get a notepad, write your mind onto it while
the LD is loading up, then copy the notes to electronic form when the LD is
finally 'ready to go'.

Don't kill me, Laurent I being am very sarcastic here.

> As you RIGHTLY stated.... I should have done my homework/research first.
>
> PS/ What mixer do you have for the kitchen??  (Rhetoric, Laurent, pure
> rhetoric..)  ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Kevin

@Kevin. Thanks for the compliments. By the way, I suggest you glance at the
following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom-posting

It will probably serve you well as it increases the chances of having your
message read and subsequently replied to.

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
  6:55am  up 6 days 19:14,  8 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.43, 0.69