Re: Opinions on new PDA please

news:dts4iv$2vqo$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [ Martin ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 11:22 \__
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> __/ [ Martin ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 23:00 \__

>>> I strongly disagree with this. Good programmers can earn considerable
>>> amounts
>>> of money in their spare time (e.g. consulting) so that they can pursue
>>> their
>>> passion and attain fame, rather than accrue profits.

>>> There are distrobutions that are aimed specifically at sound or audio.
>>> Everything is pre-installed and included in the core.

>>> If you have no tolerance for initial setup of hardware,simply  buy a
>>> Linux
>>> workstation as opposed to attempting a conversion of a "designed for
>>> Windows
>>> XP(R) Pro" unit. Dell, HP (as well as many other smaller vendors) are
>>> selling pre-installed and fully-supported workstations and laptops.
>>> These
>>> are based on SuSE, Red Hat or Ubuntu rather typically.
>>>

> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/precn_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>
>>> --
>>> Roy S. Schestowitz
>>> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
>>>  4:20am  up 8 days 16:39,  10 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.80, 0.78
>>>      http://iuron.com - Open Source knowledge engine project
>>
>> I'm sorry but your statement above is nonsense. What if I decide to buy a
>> new piece of hardware, what are the chances it will work with Linux
>> straightaway? You missed the point. The hardware manufacturers need to
>> provide out of the box drivers for Linux or people won't go near it.
>
> When you decide to buy a new piece of hardware, opt for one of the many
> vendors that are known to have provided Linux drivers. It is an easy task.
> Trying to get a 5-year-old Winmodem or older equipment off the shelf is
> another matter. When you undertake the task of changing your operating
> system, you must adapt to the change. Mac users buy equipment at the Apple
> Store. They do not whine about lacking Windows-only software either. They
> have their own tools for any given task.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Roy

With all due respect I buy a piece of kit for what it CAN DO, not what OS it
runs on. I really don't care a toss about Windows, it's just the vehicle
that runs the software and hardwareI need to use, such as my PDA, digital
camera, video capture, video editor and so on. The fact is Linux has a very
restricted number of pieces of hardware that will work straight out the box.
For you to suggest that I should only buy hardware that would run on Linux
is crazy.

How popular would a car be if it couldn't use normal petrol form an ordinary
garage? Would you buy one? A car nerd might but you wouldn't buy one to use
every day for work.

Martin