Re: "If you build it, they will come"

On 2006-02-25, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What bothers me to some extent is Dell's offering of Linux workstations.
> Sure, I think it helps Linux, but on the other hand, what if Dell made big
> bucks off Linux at the expense of Novell and Red Hat, let alone mom-and-pop
> Linux stores?

 The good news is that Linux is, effectively, an open standard like
TCP/IP. It can't be subverted and twisted like a proprietary product
can. Dell wouldn't "control the standard" (to use Microsoft's term).

 A business would *like* to control critical standards if they can. It
gives them power over their competitors. But businesses will *accept*
using a standard that nobody controls, if it means it can't be
deliberately twisted against them.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                 (313) 227-2317

 "When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it
 does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that
  its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, 'tis a
     sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." -- Benjamin Franklin