Re: Experts: Windows Flaw Can't Wait for Microsoft Fix

On 2006-01-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [Sinister Midget] on Wednesday 04 January 2006 07:32 \__
>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,124142,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp
>>
>>    Users of the Windows OS should install an unofficial security patch
>>    now, without waiting for Microsoft to make its move, security
>>    researchers at The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center (ISC) advised
>>    this week.

>>    Microsoft advised on December 28 that to exploit a WMF vulnerability
>>    by e-mail, "customers would have to be persuaded to click on a link
>>    within a malicious e-mail or open an attachment that exploited the
>>    vulnerability." Microsoft's advisory can be found online.
>>
>>    However, simply viewing the folder that contains the affected file,
>>    or even allowing the file to be indexed by desktop search utilities
>>    such as the Google Desktop, can trigger its payload, F-Secure's
>>    Chief Research Officer Mikko Hypponen wrote in the company's blog.
>>
>> I think they forgot to consult our own horse's ass, Mr. Ed. He assures
>> us all is well. Evidently they're still operating from a position of
>> ignorance.
>
> You promised daily niceties. Where is today's nicety? I thought that any
> message that target Microsoft Windows directly misses the point of
> advocating Linux. I still abide by this belief, but evidently I reply to the
> wrong partent. *smile*

I sent a kind word in the early AM. In another post, nder the title
"Good Word for teh Monopolists: Day 4". I only promised one per day
(don't want to overdose, dotcha know).

Turning over these new leaves takes time to develop and take hold
before further steps can be considered.

I certainly didn't resolve to *not* take shots. But I thought I'd start
the year moving in that direction. Sorta like someone swearing off
smoking: "I resolve to smoke one less cigarette every day this year.
Or, at *least* one less per week if I forget on any particular day."

Anyway, in the title of the post in which I praised them, I mistyped
"the", backed up and deleted the miscreant letters, then retyped them.
The damned things switched themselves around while I wasn't looking
anyway.

--
If Bill Gates had a penny for every time a Windows box
crashed....Oh, wait a minute, he already does.