Re: Microsoft Employees Rage As Internet Explorer Ship Sinks

__/ [B Gruff] on Thursday 05 January 2006 13:15 \__

> On Thursday 05 January 2006 07:56 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> It is easier for the user to replace one 'component' at the time than to
>> learn and adapt to an entirely 'new' operating system. Let them adapt
>> slowly. First Firefox, then OpenOffice, then GIMP, then Linux. This, as a
>> matter of fact, is why Open Source on Windows is important. Give users
>> digestable chunks of Open Source; small bits at any one stage. Many
>> migrate because they are fascinated by the quality of Open Source
>> software, which does not project properly upon these stereotypes in their
>> minds.
>>

> Absolutely:-)
>
> You missed Thunderbird though - anybody using Windows ought to abandon
> Outlook, surely?

You're  quite right. It is important to explain to people that their  mail
is locked in to a vendor and is not even exportable. Fortunately, Thunder-
bird imports mail and settings without a single cough.

I  ditched KMail 6 months ago and moved to Thunderbird on my main worksta-
tion. I was using Netscape mail in the past (age 14 maybe) and Thunderbird
I  have  used exclusively for over a year. I was captivated by  KDE's  de-
fault,  but  it was too much to take. How many people still use  Konqueror
for on-line bookings and risk Web design ignorance? Either way, merely ev-
erything I use is JRE to exclude basics like editors, KNode, LyX, GIMP and
a  few more applications that could sooner or later be replaced by Java if
RAM permits.

I  am very pleased to hear people asking about synchronisation with  Thun-
derbird or, as they called, it "Open Source solutions". Open Source is be-
coming  a hot -- shall we say 'tag' -- these days. Even Windows users  are
hyped  up  about it. AJAX, Web-based and Google are a few more words  that
give people a kick.

__/ [John Bailo] on Thursday 05 January 2006 08:10 \__

>> migrate because they are fascinated by the quality of Open Source
>> software, which does not project properly upon these stereotypes in their
>> minds.
>
> Linux breaks the M$ memeplex.

Yup!

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:15pm  up 25 days 22:26,  11 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.48, 0.53