Re: IMac Running Ubuntu (Originally was: What am I doing wrong?)

  • Subject: Re: IMac Running Ubuntu (Originally was: What am I doing wrong?)
  • From: Bobbie <bobbie4@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:55:00 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
While dancing and signing to Enya's Carribean Blue, Roy Schestowitz,
exclaimed the following:

> __/ [Rick] on Sunday 08 January 2006 12:43 \__
>
>> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:37:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>> Is  it  really possible with Ubuntu? I have an iMac with similar specs  at
>>> work  and I have let it off the hook a month ago. It never gets used,  let
>>> alone  touched. I migrated all the mail (work stuff) to Thunderbird on the
>>> desktop nearby. It runs Ubuntu Linux. Maybe I can have both a Dell machine
>>> and an iMac side-by-side, both running Linux. Do you see the irony? Apple?
>>> Dell?  I'll  do it Monday. I've got a pile of Breezy, but I wonder  how
>>> Linux runs with one mouse button...
>>>
>> Sheesh. Use a multi-button mouse.
>
> I don't have any spare USB mice, so would have to purchase one; I have some
> crappy PS/2 ones. Besides that, another concern came to mind. The mouse in
> iMacs connects directly (via USB) to the side of the keyboard, which itself
> connects to a single USB port on the main unit. I don't know how the Linux
> kernel handles this combination. Furthermore, I think there are only two USB
> ports on the unit. This means that none will be available for peripherals
> other than the keyboard and mouse, unless one temporarily disconnects
> one/both.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to plug the new Logitech mouse into
the keyboard as the important thin is both mice are USB. But for your
imformation, I had a spare multiport USB hub laying around, so my iMac now
has 6 USB ports. Two ports are used for the keyboard and mouse
respectively and one port was used for my Deskjet 930C and my Palm Pilot
went into the last port on the hub. I think the reason you can plug the
Mac mouse into the keyboard is that there must be a mini-hub in the
keyboard, it's the only way this could work as you can't simply tie the
serial data lines of two separate devices together.

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer is at http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm
Today's posting comes via the numbers 0 & 1, Suse 10.0 and Pan Newsreader.