Re: IMac Running Ubuntu (Originally was: What am I doing wrong?)

On 2006-01-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [Rick] on Sunday 08 January 2006 12:43 \__
>
>> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:37:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>> Is  it  really possible with Ubuntu? I have an iMac with similar specs  at
>>> work  and I have let it off the hook a month ago. It never gets used,  let
>>> alone  touched. I migrated all the mail (work stuff) to Thunderbird on the
>>> desktop nearby. It runs Ubuntu Linux. Maybe I can have both a Dell machine
>>> and an iMac side-by-side, both running Linux. Do you see the irony? Apple?
>>> Dell?  I'll  do it Monday. I've got a pile of Breezy, but I wonder  how
>>> Linux runs with one mouse button...
>>>
>> Sheesh. Use a multi-button mouse.
>
> I don't have any spare USB mice, so would have to purchase one; I have some
> crappy PS/2 ones. Besides that, another concern came to mind. The mouse in
> iMacs connects directly (via USB) to the side of the keyboard, which itself
> connects to a single USB port on the main unit. I don't know how the Linux
> kernel handles this combination. Furthermore, I think there are only two USB
> ports on the unit. This means that none will be available for peripherals
> other than the keyboard and mouse, unless one temporarily disconnects
> one/both.

I use a trackball going through a USB connector on a Macally iKey
keyboard. So does my wife (who also has a tablet connected at the same
time). They work fine. Sinister Jr likes a particular ADB keyboard, so
his trackball is connected directly.

These aren't iMacs, they're B&W G3s (400 & 450MHz) and a G4 (400MHz)
tower. But there's no reason why it would work any differently on an
iMac.

> I am still tempted to try it, even just to see the look on the Macheads'
> faces. It's almost as satisfying as showing them a new GBP 150 Intel box
> running Tiger. Can make them sob...

Even a live CD should work, though I'd expect a lot of jitters and
jumps because of low resources. I'd go with the install instead if I
was the one doing it. But you can still test it for hardware detection
and the like with a live one.

--
Wayphiser: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.