Re: Largest Web Sites Opt for Linux

__/ [Tim Smith] on Sunday 08 January 2006 20:42 \__

> In article <dpqd94$17nf$3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have just had a quick glimpse at Netcraft's "Most Visited Web Sites".
>> Among the top 10, 8 run Linux or FreeBSD. The exceptions are microsoft.com
>> and ebay.com.
>
> There's something odd about that list.  #7 is toolbar.netcraft.com,
> ahead of news.bbc.co.uk, cgi.ebay.com, and www.cnn.com, and www.msn.com.
>
> I find it very hard to believe that netcraft.com gets visited more than
> cnn.com, or msn.com.
>
> A check of their FAQ makes it clear what is going on: it is a list of
> most visited sites by people who are using the Netcraft toolbar.

Yes, of course. All such statistics (Alexa comes to mind) are very rough
estimates that are based on a relatively small sample of participants who
have their surfing history stored remotely. Netcraft's most visited web
sites have a certain tendency and nature. In Alexa, Yahoo are at the top,
msn.com are ranked second and Google are third. Other stats:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/11/1540216&tid=95