Re: Missing from Linux

  • Subject: Re: Missing from Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:13:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Linønut] on Monday 09 January 2006 03:37 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, John Bailo belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> One thing that I realized is missing from Linux is a super simply windowed
>> text editor, like Notepad or Editpad pro.
>>
>> Something fast, lite, and without a lot of frame "real estate" [menus,
>> icons, etc ].
>
> You mean like gedit?  Or gnotepad+?  Or even NotePad running under Wine?

I think that John ought to use kedit. kwrite (part of kate) is slightly more
bloated (just slightly). As Bailo uses KDE (from the sound of it; he uses
Gwenview), GNOME editors would probably be irrelevant.

May I add that lightwight Linux editors are by far superior to Wordpad and
Notepad? Colleagues of mine use these to edit LaTeX and I cannot begin to
describe how many difficulties they have. Moreover, flukes such as losing
work are enough to drive them away, or just recoil in disgust. One of them
had a Ubuntu CD on his desk a few months back. I think he is still afraid
because of all the FUD.

>> The other thing is a very simple image viewer (not an editor like the
>> GIMP, but something that just brings up an image with a minimal window
>> surrounding it).
>
> Why don't you try Tuxpaint <grin>?

*LMAO*

xv

There are also many other goodies from Image Magick. You want a widget-free
slideshow of your images?

animate -delay 1000 *

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
  4:05am  up 29 days 11:16,  15 users,  load average: 0.88, 0.71, 0.50