Re: PR5 Flash site ..link still valid

  • Subject: Re: PR5 Flash site ..link still valid
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:28:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Stacey] on Tuesday 10 January 2006 13:45 \__

> "Brian Wakem" <no@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> James Helliwell wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.dynamicbreaks.com/
>>>
>>> I can get a link off this website is it still valid in terms of passing
>>> PR.
>>

>> I doubt it very much.  The page is PR5, but it is also unreadable to
>> search
>> engines, so your link will never be found.
>
> Unless the link is just added without the flash at the bottom of the page.

I  heard  somewhere that Flash can somehow be crawled and links  then  ex-
tracted  from  it. I remain skeptical about this. I think it is  the  case
with  DOC  format  as  I once saved some files which  contained  links  in
OpenOffice.  Its  links appear to be followed in some obscure fashion  (to
reach error 404).

Flash  (SWF)  is a binary proprietary format, but then again DOC  and  PPT
(among  other proprietary formats )seem to be crawled. This seem to get  a
low priority when it comes to crawling cycles (they are CPU-intensive) and
ranking  in the SERP. Many visitors frown upon bumping onto such  formats,
which are often (as in the case with bloated PDF's) can be reduced to sim-
ple  HTML. I believe that crawling such formats only discourages Open for-
mats  and standards, but I don't want to get too philosophical about it...
imagine  yourself a Web comprising excel spreadsheets and Word  documents.
It's a good thing that Mosaic and Netscape got there first (the WWW)...

Firefox is now picking up some pieces...