Re: PR5 Flash site ..link still valid

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:28:47 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [Stacey] on Tuesday 10 January 2006 13:45 \__
>
>> "Brian Wakem" <no@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> I doubt it very much.  The page is PR5, but it is also unreadable to
>>> search
>>> engines, so your link will never be found.
>>
>> Unless the link is just added without the flash at the bottom of the page.
>
>I  heard  somewhere that Flash can somehow be crawled and links  then  ex-
>tracted  from  it. I remain skeptical about this.

Well it's actually true but it's more accurate to say some Flash can
be crawled and some links can be extracted from it. I don't know of
any precise way of determining exactly which links will be extracted
and crawled so basically as I understands it it's still useless for
SEO. I've actually played with a copy of the Macomedia developers' kit
but it was way above the big techie me.

BB

> I think it is  the  case
>with  DOC  format  as  I once saved some files which  contained  links  in
>OpenOffice.  Its  links appear to be followed in some obscure fashion  (to
>reach error 404).
>
>Flash  (SWF)  is a binary proprietary format, but then again DOC  and  PPT
>(among  other proprietary formats )seem to be crawled. This seem to get  a
>low priority when it comes to crawling cycles (they are CPU-intensive) and
>ranking  in the SERP. Many visitors frown upon bumping onto such  formats,
>which are often (as in the case with bloated PDF's) can be reduced to sim-
>ple  HTML. I believe that crawling such formats only discourages Open for-
>mats  and standards, but I don't want to get too philosophical about it...
>imagine  yourself a Web comprising excel spreadsheets and Word  documents.
>It's a good thing that Mosaic and Netscape got there first (the WWW)...
>
>Firefox is now picking up some pieces...
>
>Roy

http://www.crystal-liaison.com/fontanini/index.html kruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
               Home of the gifty shiny!