Re: LaTeX installation broken by OpenSUSE 10.0

  • Subject: Re: LaTeX installation broken by OpenSUSE 10.0
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:21:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [emptystate@xxxxxxxxxxx] on Thursday 12 January 2006 11:35 \__

> Hi
>
> Since installing OpenSUSE 10.0 my LaTeX installation has been broken.
> When I process a file, first latex can't find it even if I'm in the
> same directory.
> Then if I give the path (e.g. ./file.tex) latex starts to complain
> about missing
> class files.
>
> The LaTeX installation is still on disk. I tried regenerating the ls-R
> file and reinstalling from YaST. Anyone else have (and fix) this
> problem ?
>
> TIA

I  don't know if it helps much, but the exact some problem emerged for  me
in  SuSE  8.1 about a year ago. Whichever class I choose, it's missing.  I
must  have installed something that broke it, maybe even YaST or  patches,
but I cannot tell for sure.

I  never tries to mend it, so I cannot propose a solution. I can't use LyX
and  LaTeX locally, so I just do so remotely (via SSH) on a Fedora cluster
whose administrator is not myself. I never tried to resolve the issue, but
here's the advantage of having responsibility delegated to someone else (I
also  get regular upgrades of software). The other option and what I  con-
sidered  at  one point is a re-installation/upgrade, which I had  no  com-
pelling reason to do.