Re: Microsoft Security Yet AGAIN

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Yet AGAIN
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:50:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [Jack Ouzzi] on Sunday 08 January 2006 08:33 \__

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:22:01 -0000, "Brian G" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Jack Ouzzi wrote:
>>> ..........The severity of a recently discovered bug in Windows has
>>> made Microsoft release a patch for the loophole early.
>>>
>>> As tools began circulating online that made it much easier to craft
>>> code to exploit the bug many security experts feared that a major
>>> incident was imminent.
>>>
>>> Microsoft said it brought forward the release of the patch because of
>>> "strong customer sentiment that the release should be made available
>>> as soon as possible"............
>>>
>>> Oh how wonderfully sweet and kind of them !!
>>
>>But it's not critical enough to release a patch for Windows 98 that's still
>>being used by dinosaurs like me - although there is an unofficial patch
>>here
>>for it  http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php
>>

> Dinosaur maybe (your words Brian) but you have still paid your way
> ........ !

I still possessed an old Windows 98 laptop until a few months ago (everything
replaced by 3 Linux boxes now) .I can vividly recall that, much to their
convenience, Microsoft ceased support for the platform several years ago,
thereby making it vulnerable to merely anything that has since been patched.
This includes data being susceptible to outside access, hijacking perhaps
and channelling of viruses to the local network.

Whenever someone with a Windows 98 laptop comes to my office, I hand them
over a Ubuntu CD. I cannot believe that Windows ME and 2000 will be
supported for much longer, but since half of all businesses still use these
versions[1], I guess the vendor must. I once wrote about it[2], just in case
you want to know about software being released by Microsoft that is already
incompatible with versions older than XP.

Roy

[1]
http://news.com.com/The+slow+road+to+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5746046.html?part=rss&tag=5746046&subj=news

[2] http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/09/windows-snubbed/