Re: Scaner for linux (SUSE)

  • Subject: Re: Scaner for linux (SUSE)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:50:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Peter Köhlmann] on Friday 13 January 2006 14:56 \__

> begin  virus.txt.scr dario wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am going to buy a scanner for my computer with SUSE 10.0. Can you
>> recommend any which will work good
>
> Take a HP

I have an HP 2200 working out of the box in version 9.3, so I concur with
Peter on this one. They seem to have a /huge/ database of HP drivers in the
installation CD's. It's endless.

>> and will have good OCR software
>> included?
>
> What for? You will not use that software under linux, quite probably

XSane - to be found in the installation CD's and be handled by the YaST
package manager. Great software; much better than that basic program that
came with the scanner.

>> I am going to run it under Wine.
>>

> No, you will not. You can't run windows drivers in wine

It'll complicate things. Why assume that this is what's preferable? (unless
we are missing an important point here) Windows and scanner drivers were not
as simple (for me at least) to install compared with SuSE.
YaST->Scanner->Add->HP 2200; Install XSane from the CD. Done.

Speaking of which, the same scanner worked with Ubuntu without installing any
software (XSane is there by default) and the scanner was automatically
detected, without any intervention. Very admirable!

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
  3:35pm  up 33 days 22:46,  14 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.13, 0.09