Re: Treo 700w trial drive

__/ [Rick] on Monday 09 January 2006 22:12 \__

> Got my 650 stolen over the weekend and went into the Verizon store.
> They had the new 700 so thought I'd give it a try.  Just some
> background, I'm a survivor of the 1999-2000 Windows CE-PocketPC/Palm
> wars.  I owed a Palm VII, and three Windows CE devices.
>
> The Treo 700w sucks.  It's the same old "too much software for the
> hardware" platform.
> In two days: checking email takes forever, memory runs low doing
> typical stuff
> causing tardy screen refreshes.  This is much like a slow pc.  The
> menus are buried so deep
> to do anything (snap a picture, enter a quick appt, etc) you spend your
> time stopping
> to focus on the little device instead of going through your day.  With
> all of the graphics and menu animations, the device is just plain
> silly.
>
> I haven't tried (and don't want to) try any of the other current Pocket
> PC offerings.  So I
> can't compare.  And it is lighter and smaller than a 650.  I'm sure the
> camera is better.
> But with all the weight of the OS, this is one device you have to like
> using for the graphics, because you won't be getting anything else done
> with your day.  Thinking of taking this back for the 650 again.

I am happy to have heard that opinion of yours. In the PDA arena, much like
on the desktop, the code is rarely built for optimality. Take this report
from Microsoft, for example:

  "What?s noteworthy about it is that Microsoft compared Singularity to
  FreeBSD and Linux as well as Windows/XP - and almost every result shows
  Windows losing to the two Unix variants. For example, they show the number
  of CPU cycles needed to "create and start a process" as 1,032,000 for
  FreeBSD, 719,000 for Linux, and 5,376,000 for Windows/XP."

           http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=459

It often comes down to brute-force, which perhaps the Treo does not offer.

When I first started with Palm (back in 2002), I was fascinated by fancy GUI
bits in my PIM and a whole lot of beautiful applications. After a while,
practicality took over and I have been using the build-in apps in barebones
form ever since. Flash and practicality are separate. I am always amazed by
how well-optimised the interface is in terms of the number of required
clicks and the button placement. Stable too, I must add.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
  6:15pm  up 34 days  1:26,  14 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.55, 0.49