Re: Rootkits: Norton "protected" recycle bin

  • Subject: Re: Rootkits: Norton "protected" recycle bin
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 06:57:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.hacker
__/ [Big Bad Bob] on Saturday 14 January 2006 02:21 \__

> Lissi wrote:
>> Juergen Schmidt comments on Heise.Security, that rootkits aren't
>> necessarily *BAD*, but sometimes have useful functions. He concludes
>> that "technically" there's no reason to call rootkits "evil". "For
>> differentiation between software and malware there is in the end only
>> one criterium: the consent of the user. Who installs software without
>> previously getting the consent of the person who is responsible for the
>> system has gone over to the evil side.
>
> "You must install this [malware] to view/hear content"
>
> "Press OK to install"
>
> That would fall under his umbrella of "consent of the user" perhaps?
> And I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the 'malware' out there now is
> installed by clueless users in this very manner...
>
>> /*
>> Of course, what Schmidt doesn't comment on are things like MediaMax,
>> which installs itself even if you refuse to agree to the installation.
>> */
>
> OUCH!

That, in fact, is very similar to the Sony rootkit if I recall correctly.
Simply entering a CD onto the drive would have everything installed. I
recall a controversy or maybe a lawsuit that relied on this observation that
refusal had the rootkit instated as well.

"It's hidden, so who the hack will ever notice...?"

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  6:55am  up 34 days 14:06,  14 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.66, 0.79