Re: [News] Security Suggests Ditching Windows

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 05 July 2006 15:17 \__

> On 2006-07-05, Gordon <gordon.burgessparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> posted something concerning:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> BBC: Security suggests switch to Macs
>>>
>>> (Note: the same arguments that apply to one _commercial_ BSD/Darwin-based
>>> O/S (POSIX-compatible) are equally adequate for GNU/Linux)
>>
>> I've just emailed Sophos as to why they didn't mention Linux.......
>
> /IF/ you get an answer, I doubt it will mention the real reason: they
> have a potential area of growth with Mac, but not with linux. Not in
> anti-virus, anyway.

True. That was the same disposition of the following CEO:

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6072540.html

        Symantec CEO advocates fair play and Macs

The security Guru Bruce Schneier, on the other hand, does not have financial
incentives. He only ever mentions FLOSS as a rational alternative. It would
be wiser to seek the advice of that who has no interest in selling boxed
software. Besides, Symantec currently collaborates with IBM on Linux
servers.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
  3:20pm  up 68 days 20:23,  11 users,  load average: 1.64, 1.35, 1.33