Re: [News] A Collection of Erroneous Error Messages

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:45:53 +0100
<6758236.5OyP5HQyF0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Even greater errrror massages of our time
>
> Hilarious error messages - an eclectic bunch of them.
>
> ,----[ Snippet ]
> | "Disk not recognized - format? [OK]" (Mac)
> |
> | "Not enough memory to quit Windows" (Windows 3.11)
> |
> | "Keyboard not present - press F1 to continue" (various BIOSes)

Win2k still wants to format my Linux partition on my one box.
Shows up as a disk on "My Computer", but when I double click, a
requester pops up:

"The Disk In Drive E is not formatted.  Do you want to format it now?
[[Yes]] [No]"

Note the default.

I don't have a WinXP box handy -- this one's another machine with VNC,
but WinXP is a dual-boot which screws up my clock.  I have my doubts
WinXP is that much brighter.

A more honest error message might be along the lines of:

"I'm sorry, Disk E is just totally incomprehensible to
Windows.  You'll have to format it yourself using the
pulldown menu.  [Acknowledge]"

:-)

> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/19/errorrr_massages/
>
> Reminds me of:
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/02/09/the-path-is-too-deep/
>
> Among many others. The problem with GNU/Linux messages is that they are often
> /too/ informative (technical/jargon).

I'm still pondering the meaning of "Splunge!" in
drivers/scsi/aha1542.c and drivers/scsi/psi240i.c.
The first has something to do with Interrupt 9, the second
with Interrupt 10 -- probably an earlier card registration
failure might set up the condition.

This is technical jargon of some sort, but I'd like a
little more information here. :-)

I'll give it brownie points for clarity, though; there's
only two places "Splunge!" can occur, and both are easily
locatable in the source code.

Also, the AHA1542 is a now-ancient card.  I don't know about
the psi240.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.