Re: Working with Linux is a dream

  • Subject: Re: Working with Linux is a dream
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:00:05 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish+++
<flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:22:38 -0400
<kQfvg.1823$VD1.143@xxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 02:38:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> SuSE is quite suitable, if not optimal, for dual-head settings (sorry to be
>> excluding other distros from this argument). It's also dual-aware, unlike
>> other platforms you might find. Ubuntu, on the other hand, needs an extra
>> module to support multi-head displays.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>

> Too bad it barfed on my Nvidia FX5500....
>
> Windows XP works fine, allows me to drag between desktops and configure
> each desktop etc.
>
> Suse?
>
> It died...

Welcome to the Nvidia xorg 7.1 nightmare.  :-/  Mind you, there's a few
workarounds, but until nvidia gets something compatible out there we're
kinda stuck.

(I'm running xorg 7.0 on my Gentoo box.  It is possible to
use "nv" instead of "nvidia" if one doesn't require OpenGL,
but that's kinda hard on old gamesters like me.  :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.