Re: [News] McAfee's Journal and Open Source Views

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 17 July 2006 14:53 \__
>
>> On Monday 17 July 2006 11:02 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> McAfee's new security journal: Sage is not sage
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/15/1331229&from=rss
>>
>> "But if you are knowledgeable about open source software, or the debate
>> over full-disclosure in the world of computer security, you'll find Sage
>> one-sided and lacking in substance. Open source is the least of
>> Microsoft's security problems. McAfee's business model depends upon that
>> teeming cesspool of insecurity, however, so it shies away from the real
>> issues and fundamental causes. McAfee wants to address those issues in
>> the same way the pharmaceutical firms want to see the threat of AIDS
>> disappear"
>
> The funny thing here is that Linux gets the blame. Windows boxes are used
> to SPAM cyberspace and launch DDOS attacks while Linux machines always
> behave themselves. And yet, somehow Linux (or OSS) is perceived as the
> culprit.
>
> To use someone else's analogy, it's like blaming Microsoft Word for crime
> because people use it to write random letters. It's also like blaming
> MacDonald's and Pizza Hut for feeding all these script kiddies in their
> basement/garage/mom's house.

Or suing tobacco companies because people are dying of lung cancer.
Or prosecuting gunsmiths because postal workers have access to firearms.
Waitaminute... anyone up for a class-action suit against Ford for causing so
many accidents on the highways? They did build the cars, after all...

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk