Re: [News] E-book Reader for Linux PDA's Gets New Release

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 13 July 2006 12:08 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> I was never too keen on reading off a PDA. Not leisurely type of reading
> anyway...

The N770 has an exceptionally large display, and a good selection of
fonts.  A lot of my job is technical reading, including standards of
various kinds, like RFCs, G.xxx series, and so on, as well as hunting
down stuff on the web.  All of this I can easily do on my N770 from a
camp chair in the middle of a park;  in some ways, this is easier for
me, as there are fewer distractions compared to when I'm at home.

I do need to take a drink and snack as well, though!

Whilst I would agree that reading from a book is always easier, it would
be a crime to print out every large document I get - when for a little
more effort, I can read them electronically.

>>> I've got two iPaqs. Great little machines, problem is I think the battery
>>> in one of them is knackered. Hey, Mark, you don't happen to know of any
>>> place I could just pop in and snag one for a iPaq 3630, do you? I've seen
>>> the AA packs and think they're a great idea and all, but I don't fancy the
>>> idea of carrying one of those in my pocket, just gagging to get shorted on
>>> my keychain...
>>
>> We could really use a standard size for a flat battery, say a six volt
>> and a 3 volt battery.  Save all this messing around with proprietary,
>> expensive, batteries.
>

> ...They have just moved into universal power supplies for mobile phones (or
> mobile /devices/, if this extends more broadly). By "they" I might be
> referring to "Americans", but I'm not sure... just stumbled upon it a couple
> of days ago.

I don't have a huge issue with power, although I wish there'd be some
standardisation around the sockets for mobiles.  Even if everyone agreed
to use the USB socket, that would do.  For my car, I bought a 300W
inverter from Maplin a few months back for Â20, it's been fantastic,
plug into lighter socket and have 240Vac for powering everything as I'm
on the go.  I can charge my phone, power my TomTom, charge the N770 all
as I'm on the move.  Don't need to worry about pre-charging, now.

Killing turkeys causes winter.