Re: [News] Red Hat Push for Openness and Linux Adoption

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 13:24 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 10:41 \__

> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2157288/red-hat-returns-developer-roots
>>>
>>> I think it would be fair for them to make this side chargeable, it is
>>> intended for the protection of commercial products anyway, so I don't see
>>> that anyone could object to it being an avenue for income for RH.
>>
>> True. On the brighter side of things, those among us that are using Fedora
>> (used a cluster of these earlier this morning), find that the benefits can
>> be reaped as well. I must admit that Fedora seems rather robust. I only
>> hear negative things about the installation and I don't quite like its
>> looks, RedHatPM packaging system (Synaptic would be favourite, don't know
>> Zen yet), and corporate binding. I often think of Fedora Core as a set of
>> RH experiments; as in, let the lab rats play with Fedora and improve our
>> cash cow, RHEL.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> It is true that RH use the Fedora people as unoficial testers, but they are
> very open about it, they talk about it on their web site. Basically those
> getting it free earn their keep by reporting back problems, then the
> Enterprise versions benefit from a cleaner upgrade path. But that doesn't
> mean that RH are not active in FDC, particularly in the current FDC5, they
> have shown that they are working on real improvements, not just a new
> pretty splash screen.
>
> I would still put RH as the best of the servers, and FDC5 is a very nice
> product for home or work as server or client. As a client it would be more
> difficult for those that are used to Suse or Mandriva setting up their
> system for them, but for those used to getting dirty then once all the bits
> and pieces that you use at home are set up you end up with a very robust
> client.

I am inclined agree as Red Hat is the distribution that my Web hosts have
always been using. Their uptime, which is what matter the most, is quite
fantastic. If this RHEL deployment is anything to go by, I am impressed.

> But what ever distro you use next time you are up for a change, make sure
> you get the new gnome, if you are not impressed I will show my bum in Marks
> & Spencers window (this is not just any bum, it is a flabby leathery hairy
> bum, toughened through years of sitting on it).
>
> (Sorry, anyone not from britland who might not have seen the advert).

*LOL* I guess I don't watch telly often enough. You got me scared there for a
second! I only ever watch the music channel at the gym. That's about 9 hours
a week and all adverts are rather dumbed-down, pleasant, and musical. No
bottoms ever show up. That said, the Hotel keeps having this cable
communication problem, so we keep getting 2 pr0n channel at the gym. Very
embarrassing when someone changes to these channel for a quick laugh....

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  4:25pm  up 34 days 22:57,  9 users,  load average: 0.78, 0.65, 0.84