Re: Red Hat Adopts Pop Culture Strategy for Linux

__/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 21:32 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | "We're trying to talk to the open source community to get them more
>> | engaged," said Mugshot Product Manager Donald Fischer, who conceded
>> | that Linux and other open source software needs support in digital
>> | media to compete with other large technology players, such as Apple
>> | and Microsoft.
>
> ``Dubbed "Mugshot," the new Red Hat initiative consists of a Web site
> with MySpace-styled social networking services: Link Swarm, an
> Internet-link sharing community; Music Radar for trading, talking about
> and finding music; and TV Party, a work in progress that centers on TV
> show takes and blogs.''
>
> MySpace? Yuck. Where I come from, MySpace is a haven for bedwetting
> goths who think every bit of trivia in their lives needs to be
> disclosed to the whole world.

This  comprison to MyScape is one which I found rather unappealing myself.
MySpace  is  sometimes  associated with teenage HotLinkers,  pirates,  and
media  theives. It is considered a 'bad crowd' by the more IT-savvy  folks
that contribute to Wikis or reads and follow Slashdot/MSDN/Digg/other.

However, if Red hat was ever to penetrate the mind of the youngsters, they
could catch the young generation, which is due to become influential (many
kids  teach and support the parents in that domain). Moreover, this  would
provide  living proof that Linux is not only used by (and is usable to) IT
professionals.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
  9:30pm  up 37 days  4:02,  13 users,  load average: 1.32, 0.99, 1.27