Re: What or who decides search engine spam?

__/ [ zteamsells@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 05 June 2006 06:29 \__

> Ok,
>
> I've re-designed a website for my parents. I don't use backdoor pages,
> hidden keywords and so on.
> That being said, what is keyword spamming?

If you don't know what it is, you will never become a victim of site
banishment, *smile*

> I ask cause here is what I
> have for a title and so on:
>
> <title>Zteamsells| RE/MAX Real Estate In The Berkshires</title>
> berkshires, berkshires">
> Realtors, the number one husband and wife real estate team in the
> Berkshires">

That's perfectly acceptable IMHO.

> the keywords berkshires is used made 8 times on this page and the
> keyword remax maybe 3 times.

If it fits with the flow of the text and serves the human reader, you will be
fine. Sites get banned for shoving words in a most disgusting, mechanised
way. If you saw it, you would immediately know.

> I've followed all the rules from what I have read and understand, but
> what or who really decides the rules of search engine spamming and
> relevant words?

People (as in site visitors or competitors) often file complaints to the
search engines. Human moderators act as referees.

> I know the title and description for this page are not spam or what
> not. However, for the keyword content, should I change them to REMAX,
> Real Estate, Berkshires and dump real estate in the berkshires and
> REMAX real estate?

I haven't seen the page, but it sounds as though you are worried in vain.
Then again, caution and apprehension prevent dissapointments or sobbing.

> Is there a website out there that explains the real meaning of spamming
> search engines and maybe gives examples? Any help you can provide would
> be greatly appreciated.

There are many discussions about that at mattcutts.com. Use the search
facility in the blog. Search for 'keyword stuffing' or 'keyword spam'.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
  7:20am  up 38 days 12:53,  11 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.57, 0.81