Re: Gnumeric vs Excel

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 22:19 \__

> Abstract:
> --------------------
> "The open source spreadsheet package "Gnumeric" was such a good clone
> of Microsoft Excel that it even had errors in its statistical functions
> similar to those in Excel's statistical functions. When apprised of the
> errors in v1.0.4, the developers of Gnumeric indicated that they would
> try to fix the errors. Indeed, Gnumeric v1.1.2, has largely fixed its
> flaws, while Microsoft has not fixed its errors through many successive
> versions. Persons who desire to use a spreadsheet package to perform
> statistical analyses are advised to use Gnumeric rather than Excel."

http://web.archive.org/web/20040412052948/http://www.csdassn.org/software_reports/gnumeric.pdf

There is no word which discourages the use of KSpread or Calc, to name just
two 'opponents'. And then you can come to consider Web-based equivalents;
either third-party (e.g. Google Spreadsheets), or FOSS software installed
locally (even on a public domain for collaboration). Here is what I use:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/phpwebsheet/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
  8:25am  up 40 days 13:58,  12 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.98, 1.03