Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?

__/ [ me@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 14:19 \__

>>Even better. Make sure it's the 700p, not 'w'. You don't want to
>>unnecessarily lock your data, although I'm having second thoughts either
>>way (Palm data isn't Open /per se/).
>
> Can you please explain?
>
> You definitely feel I should stay with Palm version of
> the 700?

Yes. Unless, of course, you decide to go with the Nokia 770, which I think is
worth exploring. Palm are currently in the process of moving to the Linux
kernel, whereas Nokia have completed this transition. They have Maemo, which
is an O/S/wrapper based on Debian, with GTK applications on top, as well as
Opera and other free goodies. Very slick, stable, but some say that the unit
is still underpowered. Have a look at some reviews, but be very selective
and fully aware of whose word you should take.

Roy S. Schestowitz
  2:30pm  up 40 days 20:03,  11 users,  load average: 2.12, 1.29, 1.07