Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?

__/ [ me@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:53 \__

>>I used to. Had both for over 3 years. Laptop since I was 17 and Palm since
>>I was 20. The laptop was more of a pain as I had to lug it around from
>>place to place (the early days) or never move it from the desk at all
>>(later
>
> So what abt a laptop and PDA combo?
>
> In other words use the laptop as a "desktop"
>
> You still feel the true desktop and PDA combo are way
> to go huh?
>
> Question...I've been thinking abt living in an RV for
> awhile.  Could a PDA alone serve me well in that
> scenario?

Probably not, but it depends on the tasks which get your occupied with a
computer in the first place. To me, the PDA is a good way of keeping in
'electronic grip' while in the gym, the street, or at a meeting. I have
desktops in all places where I go and I can tunnel from one machine to
another (to server/host). This means that I get the same settings and files
across all sites. This rids me from the need to literally carry all the data
with me, on a laptop.

I hope you have had the chance to read my blog posts, which to a large extent
cover this view I had formed over the years. One of these blog items I
actually wrote on my PDA while at the airport, using an auxiliary keyboard.
One scenario where the laptop is missed are presentations, but I can borrow
somebody else's or put the file/s on some Webspace (some prefer USB sticks).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
  4:15pm  up 40 days 21:48,  11 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.96, 0.94