Re: Mark Pilgim Ditches Apple, Chooses Ubuntu Linux

  • Subject: Re: Mark Pilgim Ditches Apple, Chooses Ubuntu Linux
  • From: Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:33:20 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:03:07 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 05:05 \__
>
>> On 2006-06-06, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> posted something concerning:
>>> I just did the opposite, after 12 years of using Linux (since '94) I
>>> bought my first Mac (Macbook pro).  First impressions:  It doesn't come
>>> with instructions, or a mouse.  As near as I can tell, if you want to
>>> find out how to use OS/X, you have to buy a book.  I installed Firefox
>>> and Openoffice (it comes with a free trial version of Word, but I won't
>>> have that).  Openoffice took some researching, had to set up X first,
>>> it wasn't just a download and click install.
>

> I can recall some lengthy forum and mailing lists discussions about X
> under Mac OS X. It is not trivial to set up.

I have installed both Apple and non-Apple versions of X under OS X.
Neither was a big deal to install. Apple's is now quite easy.

> This means that the route to
> having FOSS on the Mac is not always a trivial one, so most users will
> settle for proprietary Apple 'stuff', which serves their interests,
> monetarily. It does not defend the customer's right, in my humble opinion.

Defend the user's right?

BTW, I ran a few apps under X/OS X. I merely compiled Xchat Pan and a
couple of others, after installing any needed libraries. The libraries
installed easily, using Fink, and I just compiled from the same tarball I
sued to compile under Linux, at the time.

>> Use NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/). I found it works pretty good
>> on Mac.
>>
>> The wife needed a free WP, and at the time OOo wasn't too stable on Mac
>> at all. I found the above and installed it. She's had it ever since.
>

> I don't know NeoOffice, but I just hope it uses open, standard formats
> rather than become yet-another-lockin^tm, which can import, but not
> properly export.

NeoOffice is an Aqua/Java/OS X port of Open Office.

>> We also tried AbiWord. The version at the time had a bad habit of
>> showing great-looking documents on the screen, while printing with extra
>> space between some characters, and with others jammed together. It's
>> probably improved since then (a few years back). But NeoOffice has
>> worked weel enough she sees no need to change.
>

> AbiWord has a grammar checker. it's licensing terms are quite appealing.
> The same applies to KOffice, I suspect.

But then, you'd have to install the KDE libs to run KOffice.

--
Rick