Re: Mark Pilgim Ditches Apple, Chooses Ubuntu Linux

On 2006-06-07, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 05:05 \__

>> Use NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/). I found it works pretty good
>> on Mac.
>>
>> The wife needed a free WP, and at the time OOo wasn't too stable on Mac
>> at all. I found the above and installed it. She's had it ever since.
>

> I don't know NeoOffice, but I just hope it uses open, standard formats rather
> than become yet-another-lockin^tm, which can import, but not properly
> export.

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoJInfo

   The goal of NeoOffice is to provide an entirely free and complete
   Mac OS X office suite based on the international OpenOffice.org
   projectâ??only with the look-and-feel you'd expect from any Macintosh
   application.

>> We also tried AbiWord. The version at the time had a bad habit of
>> showing great-looking documents on the screen, while printing with
>> extra space between some characters, and with others jammed together.
>> It's probably improved since then (a few years back). But NeoOffice has
>> worked weel enough she sees no need to change.
>

> AbiWord has a grammar checker. it's licensing terms are quite appealing. The
> same applies to KOffice, I suspect.

That's one of the reasons I tried it out on Mac. I liked it a lot. Up
until I printed something. I'd already used in on linux and liked it
well enough. But it's not always preinstalled. And I don't use any word
processor very much. So I use what's there, whcih is nearly always
OpenOffice.

--
A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
  -- Groucho Marx