Re: [Article] Google scattergun plan to diversify backfires

__/ [ davidof ] on Friday 09 June 2006 09:13 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Google scattergun plan to diversify backfires
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Google is struggling to make an impact in markets outside of its core
>> | search business, despite making a huge push to diversify and reduce
>> | its dependence on search-linked advertising, it emerged today.
>> `----
>>
>> http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2212802,00.html
>
> Yes well the article is talking about the UK where there are some very
> entrenched players so they would have to offer something really good
> rather than half-baked to compete... mapping being an example. Gmail is
> an interesting example as it still seems to be by invite only which will
> limit its takeup.

I would not call Google Maps "half-baked" (a phrase that Joel Spolsky
recently used to refer to Microsoft's Live series). Above all, it has
definitely matured a lot (including propagation of finer maps from Earth to
Maps, street names, and additional annotation for the UK). I gave up on
MapQuest and StreetMaps on the very same day when Google Maps was launched
(I read about it in Jeff Veen's blog; he now works for Google, having
recently been hired with his startup's acquisition).

As regards Google Mail, there is a certain discrimination against UK users
(including the whole googlemail/gmail domain name blunder)...

http://zed1.com/journalized/archives/2005/09/16/gmail-features-not-for-the-british/

Looking at the bigger picture, this properly relates to one of this morning's
headlines:

BT: Google is our biggest threat

,----[ Quote ]
| As BT begins its shift into broadband content, the telco's chief
| information officer has identified Google as a key rival -- much to
| the bemusement of analysts.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,39020336,39273864,00.htm

Clearly, Google deployment of Wi-Fi in the Bay area is beginning to worry
some of the UK's Internet service providers as well.

To give examples of half-based services: Spreadsheets (beta); Suggest (beta,
not been updated for over a year now)...