Re: [News] RMS on DRM

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 13:14 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Richard Stallman Calls to Liberate Cyberspace
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>         http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060625001523547
>>
>> I have a lot of time for RMS's concerns here.  DRM could do as much
>> damage to real innovation as the drive for proprietary software did at
>> the hands of Microsoft.  How long before DRM techniques, along with
>> patents and other laws are used to shore up another "industry" such that
>> it can grow on the back of restricting the freedom of ordinary people?
>

> What I keep thinking to myself are scenarios where images (WMP?) get DRM'd as
> well. What's next? A world where everything is encrypted? Will standards and
> transparency be abandoned because they are less profitable or prone to
> become the victim and catalyst for imitation?
>
> DRM is the application of secret-keeping (e.g. PGP) to everything else in
> life. It's like a world where everyone lives in a box. Some boxed may be
> green (Sony DRM), some boxes may be yellow (Apple DRM) and some may be blue
> (Microsoft DRM). No green entity can communicate with yellow, for instance.
> This leads to fragmentation in society and industry. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are
> other similar example, which conflict with ideas such as the CD-ROM.

All the evidence over the last 40+ years is that open-formats are
successful, closed ones die.  The right approach here is to find new
ways of recompensing artists, not new ways of restricting people's
rights.  There's nothing to stop real musicians touring and doing
concerts, of course, although for the lip-syncing crowd, there's perhaps
less reason to do so...

>> I noted recently that France was considering dropping its levy on 'blank
>> media', but /only/ for DRM enabled players, ie., those which do /not/
>> support open formats.  This is an appalling prospect, but serves to
>> illustrate the dangers of this kind of thinking.
>

> Definitely.
>
> And at the end of the day, DRM-reliant industry profits more at the expense
> of the customer, who not only spends more money, but is also robbed from the
> ability to access own data (at present or future).

Indeed - right back to lock-in and personal rights.

I wonder if the days of certain kinds of business model are just over,
and this should be faced up to?

Good day to avoid cops.  Crawl to work.