Re: InformationWeek: Why I hate OSS Routing

  • Subject: Re: InformationWeek: Why I hate OSS Routing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:50:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Friday 03 March 2006 15:38 \__

> Philip wrote:
>> I have seen this where I work. Management dreads building up any
>> internal expertise on non-product activities. They would rather pay for
>> a complete service.
>>
>> Phil
>>

>> <quote>
> <snip>
>> </quote>

I posted about it to the newsgroup on the 27th of February. OSS routing could
serve as an alternative that would potentially obviate the reliance of Cisco
and compel them to improve.

> Often true. Finding the individual bits-and-pieces of technology often
> isn't the problem. The problem is assembling all these individual
> components into a cohesive system that works together.

That's a fallacy that could be generalised and assimilated to Windows,
databases, content management systems and so forth. You can always identify
commercial companies like IBM, Red Hat or Novell that will assemble the
pieces, test them thoroughly, provide installation, support and the like.
Ultimately, TCO is lower.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
  3:45am  up 2 days 23:23,  10 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.33, 0.35