Re: My website: Refreshing a page (any page) takes me back to the start page!!. Why?

  • Subject: Re: My website: Refreshing a page (any page) takes me back to the start page!!. Why?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:30:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.websites
__/ [ barblocks ] on Friday 03 March 2006 10:55 \__

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 07:21:00 +0000, Alan Cole <justal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <justal-31A457.07185603032006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Alan Cole <justal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Fixing it will depend on where the generation of the framed page came
>>> from... If your domain name registrars put it there as part of their
>>> web-forwarding service, their control panel will let you changed the way
>>> your domain name is forwarded... With Simply, login to your control
>>> panel and go to the forwarding settings page, then click the '"Refresh"
>>> to forwarding URL' checkbox.. This way Simply won't place the frames
>>> around your page and it should work properly. You won't however see your
>>> domain name in the address bar as it will 'refresh' to that of your
>>> hosting providers.
>>>
>>> Better still would be to buy some hosting space yourself instead of
>>> using your free webspace and change the nameserver settings of your
>>> domain name to point to the nameservers of your webhost. You'll then
>>> have a 'proper' set up that you have complete control of.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Al.
>
> (Sorry about the name confusion. Quite a few users on this PC.)
>
> Thanks for that Al. Bit of a bummer that the page will only refresh to
> that of the hosting providers but it's better than a poke with a sharp
> stick. Having said that I think I'll leave it as it is and explore
> your suggestion of buying my own webspace. Thanks.
>
>>Sorry... Not sure why I told you how to do it with Simply.com... I
>>thought I'd read your name was registered with them! Your registration
>>agent may actually have a better system??
>>
>>Al.
>
> Yes, I am with Simply.com.

When  I  read the original post, my natural instinct was *frames*,  having
never  visited  the site in question. This is one of the many pitfalls  of
using  frames. If the choice of frames for navigation was not yours and is
not  controlled  by  yourself, then I too suggest that you  alter  hosting
plan. At present, this gives your host estate, ranks and very much control
over your site. It's not one of the common issues with frames per se.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:25pm  up 3 days  9:03,  12 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.65, 0.56