Re: Ellison: OSS Needs Big Vendor to Thrive

> __/ [ DFS ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 04:31 \__
>
>> No doubt about that.  I've been building Access apps for years, but more
>> and
>> more I'm asked for web apps.  But I've found a great compromise: deploying
>> Access apps on a Citrix Server, which is accessed via the Web.  It works
>> great.  The users get the nice interface features and excellent reporting
>> of Access, along with easy access from home or wherever, and I get a single
>> deployment location.
>
> How the battle over the Web ends up, we are yet to see. Microsoft is being
> pulled  from  their  sheer advantage, which is proximity to  the  desktop.
> Portability is costing them and it will show, in due time.

I'm not really sure about Web apps.  They're good and bad at the same
time:

   Good:

      More capable of being cross platform.  I can access my mail,
      online training, and time-sheet using firefox or galeon on Linux.
      Some of this is due to Java.  Some quirks, but it works.

      Easy to tweak or theme the user interface.

   Bad:

      Slow as hell.

      Requires constant human interaction, or timeouts make the app crap
      out (this may be due to programmer error though).

      Prone to needless IE-centric requirements.

--
Q:  Why does a GNU/Linux user compile his kernel?
A:  Because he can.