Re: Why do I hate Windows...

On 2006-03-05, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
> __/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 18:03 \__
>
>> [snips]
>>
>> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 05:49:07 -0800, Larry Qualig wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Roy. COLA would be better IMO if there were less hyperbole and
>>> more discussion of the facts. I don't like these sorts of posts any
>>> more than the flatfish style "I installed Linux and it burned down my
>>> house" crap. There are occasional moments of realism here but
>>> unfortunately many people have extreme bias towards one OS or the
>>> other. For many (but certainly not all) it's either Linux is perfect
>>> and Windows "burnded down my house" or the opposite. The reality is
>>> nowhere near this extreme and both OS's could benefit with lessons
>>> learned from the other yet manage to keep their own unique identity.
>>
>> The reality is, nothing is perfect.  Not Linux, not Windows, not OSX.  The
>> real issue becomes not which is perfect, nor even better, but, rather,
>> which is better for a given use or user.
>>
>> Take desktop use for Joe Sixpack.  Ignoring pricing considerations, Macs
>> are, on the whole, probably easier to use than Windows boxes.  Now that
>> OSX is moving to x86, if it becomes a commodity OS like Windows, I fully
>> expect it to take a *huge* chunk of the Windows market over the next
>> several years.
>>
>> That said, for Joe Sixpack, Linux is actually pretty freakin' easy to use
>> as well.  It is not identical, to be sure, but set him up with a stock KDE
>> system, he should be almost as at home with it as with Windows in very
>> short time - and face it, he did, at some point, have to learn Windows,
>> and Windows keeps changing the bloody interface every other week in any
>> case, simply adding to the confusion.
>>
>> For servers, Linux beats Windows hands down, between cost of deployment,
>> ease of doing things such as cloning servers and the like.
>>
>> What really irks me about Windows, especially in the all-too-frequent
>> "ease of use" discussions, is that the Windows folks persist in comparing
>> apples to apples.  Is Windows easy to use?  Compare something _equivalent_
>> if you want the comparison to be meaningful.
>>
>> For example, I run my Linux desktop as a non-privileged user.  So set up
>> Joe Sixpack in an equivalent configuration.  Now let's compare.  He wants
>> to install, oh, say, mIRC.  He has to find it, first.  Then download it.
>> Then run it.  The installer launches and... hrm.  On most of the systems
>> here at work, which are locked down, he'd simply get an error message, to
>> the effect that he's not allowed to do this, contact the administrator.
>>
>> Except Joe Sixpack *is* the administrator.  He's just not running as an
>> admin.  So, let's compare his experience, in a locked-down machine, to
>> mine.  We'll go from a bare-bones GUI system to a "usable" system.  We'll
>> install a few odds and ends, shall we?
>>
>> - MS Office and, on the Linux box, Open Office.
>> - mIRC and, say, xchat.
>> - Yahoo messenger and, say, Kopete.
>> - Winamp and xmms.
> [...]

One thing to add: I have found that command line installers tend to
be much more functional and simple than thier GUI counterparts. This
wasn't always the case. I remember the days of "Dependency hell" associated
with RPM's. In my linux infancy I went through one distro after another
like trying on tuxes to see which style had the best fit (no pun intended).
In those days, I was petrified to install software mostly because of
dependency issues.

I settled on fedora core some time ago and love it. It has a very good
GUI interface for notifying the user to available updates and installing
them.

But I have found that I *really* love YUM. For those of you not familiar
(I would guess this is mostly for users of other OS's) YUM is a command
line package manager. It is very easy to use and extremely powerful.
Give it a name, even a partial name of the program you want, and it
locates it online, downloads the most recent version, works out any
dependency issues, downloads and installs any files needed to solve
dependencies, and installs the requested program, no muss,
no fuss. It even adds the file to the GUI menu.

Got to love it.

Mathew