Re: Domain name registration

__/ [ Jerry Stuckle ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 12:33 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Adrienne Boswell ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 09:43 \__
>>

>>>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Water Cooler v2"
>>><wtr_clr@xxxxxxxxx> writing in news:1141539741.411961.172800
>>>@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

>>>I've been using GoDaddy <http://www.godaddy.com/> for years and have never
>>>had a problem with them.  They have great music on hold (Bob Parson's
>>>personal pick), the few times I've had to call them.
>>

>> I  hear  that GoDaddy are the wise and safe choice to stick with.  If  you
>> need  to transfer domain ownerships, however, then you might as well  con-
>> sider  registering with the prospective Web host. There is a 3-month delay
>> when moving domain registration from one host to another, let alone if you
>> consider  'irregular'  registrars.  I am not sure if things  have  changed
>> since the last time I experienced and paid the toll of this.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> You should NEVER have your domain registration with your hosting
> company.  This ties you to the hosting company, and if they turn out bad
> you may have a lot of trouble gaining control of your domain!
>
> Rather, register your domain with a reputable company like GoDaddy
> (which I use) and set up your host.
>
> And if you have a problem with the hosting company, you can move the
> site to a new host very quickly - a matter of hours while the new info
> propagates across the internet.  No delays at all.

We all learn from mistake, Jerry. I appreciate your answer, which was
enlightening. I tried to get a bargain, registering my domain until 2014 for
just 85 bucks. It took 3 months to grab it, moving it from California to
Northern Ireland. In hindsight, this must have cost me. This dates back to
2004.

Best wishes and many thanks,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
  5:00am  up 5 days  0:38,  12 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.38, 0.41